Reporting to the Hesquiaht Tribal Administrator, the Elders Coordinator is responsible for organizing and facilitating Elder’s meetings, events and program activities; providing travel assistance as required; and for administering the Elders Emergency Housing Repair issues that support mobility and safety for Elders in Hot Springs Cove.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Organize at least one monthly social and/or educational event for the Elders to attend
- Organize and facilitate the monthly Elders’ meeting; create the agenda and record the meeting minutes
- Provide Elders with transportation to Hesquiaht Nation cultural events, and to and from other events as required
- Ensure proper management of financial records, manage the Elder fund budgets and report as required
- Inform Elders about Membership meetings and community events at least one week in advance; notify Elders about, and provide transportation to, community and cultural events
- Facilitate and arrange the registration, bookings and travel requirements for out-of-town events
- Create program activities and prepare the monthly newsletter; maintain and provide regular updates to the calendar
- Organize special yearly events – Christmas, Elders Day, Elders Gathering Conference
- Plan for and prepare the annual report to Chief and Council
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with Hesquiaht First Nation policies and standards
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality and use discretion on all matters relating to the affairs of the Hesquiaht Nation
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Human Service Worker Certification, Home Support Worker Certification, or previous experience and education in the geriatric field is preferred
- excellent understanding of Hesquiaht culture and traditions
- Valid BC driver’s licence with an acceptable driver’s abstract; a Class 4 or 5 driver’s licence would be considered an asset
- Must have own reliable transportation
- First Aid Level 1 or Emergency First Aid certification
- Acceptable criminal record check with Vulnerable Sector Search required.
- Experience overseeing budgets, balancing monthly financial records, and completing financial reporting
- Previous experience organizing and facilitating meetings, working with small and large groups
- Experience working with office equipment such as fax machines, photocopiers, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills with strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Ability to advocate for clients and to relate to all ages, especially the elderly
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently; must work with the cultural support worker, family care worker and Usma Nuu-chah-nulth Family & Child Services
Candidates of Hesquiaht ancestry are strongly encouraged to apply; please self-identify in your cover letter.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to the Hesquiaht Tribal Administrator at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 4pm PST on May 28, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but please note that only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.